Thinking after reading Dumbing us down.
No one can do a good job on education without reading Mr. Gatto’s books. Reading his book, you will have a feeling that education is the root of nearly all problems of our society. The education is to understand other social issues on a very deep level.
Brief recap of central points of his book:
- the cost of learning is very low, almost free
- genius is very common among us, everyone can be genius
- without community life, one cannot be a full human being
- family life is important in teaching love
- local vs. global: any local community, if there is no external artificial disturbance, can be self-correcting, can grow,
- you cannot love people you don’t know, act locally
- community life is a connection between past, present, and future. Schooling, however, destroys the natural process
- no one right way
- what lessons children have to go through to be a fully human being
- solitude is an important lesson, it gives the space and time necessary to develop the self
- human being is not machine. Human beings are self-initiative and self-complete, while machine just follows command.
- big dose of time is needed in learning
Very beautifully written book.
(To be continued…)