A couple of weeks ago, I joined a street canvassing activity, visiting stores door to door. It reminded me my experiences of selling Internet :), spring water, toothpaste and so on on the street when I was a sophomore in China. I am always fascinated by talking to different people on different social-economical backgrounds (and various skills associated with it), observing the full spectrum of the culture, its dynamics and growth. That is always something that fascinates me. I don’t mind some people can be very mean and scold me. I am just interested in watching the whole social space. I don’t mind people being mean. I want to work with them and have fun with them.
Although I also enjoy having deeper relations with people just around me, I enjoy exploring the whole social space. It was always my dream to walk across the whole China. I also want to walk across the whole America. The girl I was in love with couldn’t understand why I wanted to walk across China. She is very much a family-loving person. I love my family as I grow up and start missing it now. But a big part of me is really at the outside. I always like hiking, either in the mountains or in society.
It is like reading a very huge novel. I love tech and software. But they are only to help me better in doing this thing that I am fascinated with. I don’t mind going through any pains for this thing.
This is the thing that always fascinates me and I wish I can have a chance to go back to it soon.
What I have said on this blog about the upcoming social changes (such as natural learning and unschooling) will definitely happen (even without me working on it) (just based on what have happened in the past 🙂 ) if the world can grow peacefully without being destroyed by violent destructing forces. What I said in many posts on this blog are positive healthy forces. But there are also a lot of negative destructing forces (such as Military Industry Complex) in this world that might destroy the whole planet and human being. So it is a race against them. Now it is not like the revolutions in the past, which always involved blood. It is mostly peaceful now. But the overall situation is only more grave, and the whole planet is facing way more serious danger. So there is definitely a sense of urgency.
This might be a little cynical. But I think there is some truth in it. I am sure someone else have said the same thing about self-help books before.
What kind of people write self-help books? People who cannot accomplish anything else. Yes, if you cannot accomplish anything, you write self-help books. People who can really accomplish something are usually too busy to write a self-help book. And if they really want to write one for the sake of sharing experiences and helping other people, they will feel self-help books are too shallow. Furthermore, people who are successful are more likely to trust other people to figure out things by themselves. Only fundamental principles need to be discussed. And they might want to write in the domains they are successful in, and require real life experiences in those domains. But their books, once written, are beyond the comprehension of the readers who seek self-help books, thus cannot be put into the category of self-help books. Thus it seems self-help books are doomed to be shallow and general.
If some posts on this blog appear to be self-help in nature (Are they?), that is only because I have lost my consciousness once. As I am regaining my consciousness in this new culture, I feel the need to record the growth of my consciousness for the fear of losing it again. Thus in case I lose it again, I can use what I have recorded to help me regain it. Usually when people are growing their consciousness the first time in their original culture, they are just in a hurry to rush ahead in their lives. And as your consciousness is attached to the culture/social space you are in, there is no worry of losing it. Also when people are growing their consciousness for the first time, they usually are not aware of it, and thus cannot record. As I am growing my consciousness for the second time, I am very aware of it and thus able to record.
Coming to a foreign culture, consciousness lost its base. Without that base, there are rare chances for the consciousness to be exercised, especially after I decided to throw myself totally into American/western culture. Without family, without friends, without language, without culture, I am pretty much outside of the human world, although I can still be with the nature. Only a few occasions such as very good friends’ departure touched my heart, for most of the time, my heart is barely touched by the human world. Where is love? This is the question. Now do you have an idea where love is coming from?
I guess what I mean to tell you is that you need to throw yourself into the human world, experience great ups and downs, have your heart deeply touched by the human world, and thus you will have love in this human world.
Since we are born as human beings in this world, we have no choice but to love.
For related articels on consciousness and brain: Language, Culture, Human Brain, and Consciousnes
She was a product of love. I was a product of rational, striving my whole life for perfection. When I met her, she was already perfect. Only she can dissolve my strong self and all my thinking, making me in love with the world again.
You are born as a human being. As a human being, you need to love. You’ve taken so much love in your life. You need to love back. You have a responsibility in this world. You cannot be lazy. You have to work hard.
(Note: Perfection is not the right word here. I don’t know what is the right word. Probably there is no right word here. If perfection can be put into word, how can it be true perfection?)
Some Buddhist teachers say that the particular love between different sexes will elevate your love for other human beings and the world. To me, it is not very much an elevation. It is more a realization that I am originally in love with the whole world. So it is a realization of our ignorance. Just put down our attachments. Buddhism is very simple, isn’t it?
This is comment on comment on the summary of learning.
As I said, from mathematic training, I realized the real functions of the brain (or the thinking part). So when I don’t need to think, I feel. It is to feel the space. So let your brain take a break and just let your body feel and work. How to feel better? You have to feel the fun. The fun comes from the interaction of your inner space with the outer space. This is the feel of playing. In this sense, playing is very fundamental to being a human being (although many people have forgotten it and tend to deny it). When you can feel the fun, you can play very hard, totally forgetting yourself.
There is fun on different layers. People with different skill levels will enjoy the fun on different layers. Learning, thus, is to feel strongly the fun at the current layer and be able to shift the focus to the next layer of the space when the fun diminishes at the current layer and starts accumulating at the next layer. When this is done smoothly, the person is learning and growing naturally.
I share with Gravel the same understanding of the root of the problems in this country. But there are still a lot of things that I learned from Gravel’s campaign. Here are some of the things I learned or I think I will learn from Gravel’s campaign?
- What can be done in the senate if you really want to do it. For many people like me who have never had any experience what is like working in the senate, it is hard to say what you can really accomplish in the senate as a senator. Because so, I always gave those senators benefit of doubts thinking they are just too limited to have a big influence. Gravel gave me some ideas what can be actually done in the congress. Thus those senators’ excuses for not being able to do something seem too bland to me now. I think if I spend more time to learn from Gravel’s campaign, I can learn more about the inside of the US senate.
- Political campaign financing. How to follow the money.
- Law making. Gravel has done a lot of legal work on the National Initiative. There are tremendous amount of things I can learn about law from his efforts. For example, the original concept of “initiative”, and how it was twisted by the corporations and power holders. This is a big treasure/opportunity for me to learn about law and democracy.
- Be fun and creative. Gravel’s campaign is always full of fun and creativity. It reminds me of the principle of play. Just check out his youtube videos. Gravel has also been very creative in his campaign strategies, such as proposing a real serious debate together with Ron Paul. It is a lot of fun to read his actions during the release of pentagon paper. It reads like a great novel.
- Communication skills. I can pick up his skills in getting the idea across. He has a very good communication skill.
- Be passionate, patient, always optimistic, and willing to go through any pains. With so many frustrating things in his campaign (excluded from debates very early on, always low percentage in polls, no enough money to be put on many states’ ballot…), I am happy to see he has always kept an upbeat spirit.
- On every issue (such as health care or tax), you can learn tremendously from Gravel’s campaign. I dug a little into Gravel’s solutions to these issues and have learned a lot from him. I look forward to reading more into it. I think it will help me gaining a lot of knowledge to understand America.
Many people don’t know much knowledge of law, democracy, and political details. Gravel has been very truthful in sharing his knowledge and revealing the inside to us. Other candidates are not knowledgeable enough and they try to keep those inside things away from us.
My teacher said a real leader should be able to unite both men and women. Gravel has love, compassion, sacrifice, courage, action, force, knowledge and power. My teacher said that to have a perfect consciousness you need to have knowledge and emotion together. Gravel’s consciousness is like a high mountain, rich and beautiful. Try to know about him, and I am sure he will be a good friend of you for life.